Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Long Stay Visa

Long Stay Visa
There is a special visa for Temporary Residents under the Non-Immigrant "0-A" (Long-stay) Code for retirees which may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and above to facilitate stays in Thailand for a period of at least one year. Holders of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand, but may not

take employment during their stay.

Applicants must be:
- 50 years of age and above on the date of application
- Not prohibited from entering the Kingdom
- Without a criminal record against the security of Thailand, the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence
- Nationals or residents of the country where their application was submitted
- Free from any disease proscribed by Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535)
- Neither working nor seeking work in Thailand

Applicants can submit their applications at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in their country of permanent residence.
Documents required for application are: 
- A passport valid for not less than 18 months
- Three copies of the visa application form with visa—size photo 
- A personal data form
- A copy of a bank statement showing deposits equal to at least 800,000 baht together; or the original copy of an income certificate showing a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or a deposit account showing a monthly income equivalent to not less than 800,000 baht a year. In the case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee (original copy) from the bank must also be shown
- Verification that the applicant has no criminal record issued from the country of his/her nationality or residence. The declaration must be valid for no more than three months old.
- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibited diseases indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535). The certificate should be valid for no more than three months old.
- In case that applicant wishes to have his/her spouse stay together in the Kingdom but the spouse is not qualified for the O-A visa; their marriage certificate should also be produced as evidence. The spouse will then be considered for a temporary visa under the "O" Code.

source: Thailand Travel Manual 2009-2010 by TAT

Travel-and-Leisure Articles from

World Travel News and Travel Technology Infomation